HAA5 In Your Water
HAA5, or haloacetic acids, refer to a handful of compounds that occur in tap water as a result of common municipal treatment methods such as chlorination.
HAA5 can also result in water that is treated with chloramines. These acids are created when organic and inorganic materials already present in water react with the disinfectants (chlorine, chloramine) used to make water drinkable.
The specific HAA created as a result of this exposure depends on the organic or inorganic material itself, as well as the treatment – usually chlorine or chloramine. Since HAA5 appears in water after treatment, they’re commonly referred to as “treatment byproducts.”
Both chlorine and chloramine are common methods used by cities and municipalities to treat water for homes and businesses. It’s a concern for some populations because certain kinds of HAA5 have been found to cause cancers in lab animals. Other side effects include skin irritation, skin inflammation, and even birth defects.
Examples of HAA5 In Water
They should be able to tell you not only what kinds of contaminants are in the water supply, but also what treatment method is being used to eliminate the health risks associated with those contaminants.
You can also test water yourself with a home test kit or arrange for a more advanced chemical test from a water expert like Culligan.
After you determine what’s impacting your tap water, you can make a more informed decision about treating it.
Treating Water With HAA5
If you find out you have HAA5 in your water, it will be helpful to know what kind in order to make sure that whatever treatment method you choose will effectively remove it. Different types of filtration and water treatment systems are generally specialized to address different water issues.
Culligan provides several water filtration and treatment products that effectively remove harmful haloacetic acids and are certified by the Water Quality Association and NSF International to provide the best-quality drinking water available.
AC-30® Drinking Water System – 4 Stage Filtration
- Reduces Chromium-6.
- Saves money compared to using single-serve bottles from the store.
- Go green by eliminating wasteful plastic bottles.
- Improve the taste of coffee, tea, powdered drinks, soups, recipes and baby formula.
- Free up valuable refrigerator space by eliminating pitchers and bottled water
- Meets strict standards of NSF International and WQA.
- Third-party certified to perform as promised and are backed by one of the most comprehensive warranties in the industry.
- The Culligan® AC-30 Good Water Machine® is maintenance-free. Your local Culligan Man handles everything, and it comes with an elegant designer faucet in a variety of styles to match any kitchen.
Aquasential™ Smart High Efficiency Whole House Water Filters
Reduce sediments in your water and contaminants that cause your water to appear, taste, and smell unpleasant. Your system can also lessen the taste and odor of chlorine, and prevent pipe damage and staining from low pH water. Additional customizations include:
- Culligan® Filtr-Cleer® Water Filters – Reduces Sediment Problems
- Culligan® Cullar® Water Filters – Reduces Taste and Odor Problems
- Culligan® Cullneu Water Filters – Reduces Acid Problems