Are There Pharmaceuticals In Your Water?
While many know that there are bacteria and other compounds in their tap water, there is one thing coming from your tap that you wouldn’t expect. Dissolved pharmaceuticals can run through unfiltered and untreated in your water supply and could run all the way through to your tap.
Here’s How Pharmaceuticals Get into your Tap
Tiny amounts of pharmaceuticals (specifically antibiotics, hormones, steroids, mood stabilizers, and more) could make their way to your tap and infiltrate your drinking water. These dissolved pharmaceuticals get there from two main sources: People taking medication, absorbing most of it, and passing any non-absorbed medication through their urine or feces; and flushing unnecessary or old medication down toilets.
Though this water gets sent to water treatment plants, their filters have proven to be ineffective and cleansing water of these specific particulates.
What Are the Risks?
With the story of pharmaceuticals in drinking water only coming about at the turn of the century, there is no evidence of what the long-term risks of continuously drinking this tap water would be. This means that scientists cannot speak in terms of known risks, but they plan to speak of a potential risk until they can address the issue from a more factual standpoint.
Is the Problem Improving?
One thing that is agreed upon is that the problem is not going to naturally get better. To prove this claim, many point to two specific pieces of information. The first is that with people living longer, the aging demographic grows every year. This, coupled with an over-reliance in treating medical issues with pharmaceuticals, has led to more drugs being circulated among the general populace.
What Can Be Done?
While there is no cut and dry solution to removing the pharmaceuticals from our water, scientists do agree that they need better strategies for how to treat public water supplies on a grand scale. One thing that you can do is get a Culligan Reverse Osmosis System. While charcoal filters can remove some pharmaceutical particulates, a reverse osmosis system will remove significantly more than that.
AC-30® Drinking Water System – 4 Stage Filtration
- Reduces Chromium-6.
- Saves money compared to using single-serve bottles from the store.
- Go green by eliminating wasteful plastic bottles.
- Improve the taste of coffee, tea, powdered drinks, soups, recipes and baby formula.
- Free up valuable refrigerator space by eliminating pitchers and bottled water
- Meets strict standards of NSF International and WQA.
- Third-party certified to perform as promised and are backed by one of the most comprehensive warranties in the industry.
- The Culligan® AC-30 Good Water Machine® is maintenance-free. Your local Culligan Man handles everything, and it comes with an elegant designer faucet in a variety of styles to match any kitchen.
Aquasential™ Smart High Efficiency Whole House Water Filters
Reduce sediments in your water and contaminants that cause your water to appear, taste, and smell unpleasant. Your system can also lessen the taste and odor of chlorine, and prevent pipe damage and staining from low pH water. Additional customizations include:
- Culligan® Filtr-Cleer® Water Filters – Reduces Sediment Problems
- Culligan® Cullar® Water Filters – Reduces Taste and Odor Problems
- Culligan® Cullneu Water Filters – Reduces Acid Problems